Everywhere I go in Eden-Monaro, people tell me that the economy isn’t working for everyday people.
That’s why I have been very proud of the agenda that Labor has outlined at our national conference held in Adelaide this week. An agenda that will make the important investments in our nation’s future while also ensuring that our budget is prudently managed.
Only Labor can bring this holistic approach, which recognises the benefits of economic growth and also ensures that economic growth is shared fairly. With inequality rising around the world and in Australia, there’s never been a more important time for Labor to lead.
Labor wants to get our country’s priorities back on track by properly funding our schools and hospitals, and creating real opportunities for apprentices and working people.
In Government we will:
- Fix our schools and hospitals – Restore funding cut by the Liberals and Nationals, to ensure every community has quality public schools and hospitals
- Ease pressure on family budgets – End the Medicare freeze and give tax breaks to workers, not the top end of town
- Stand up for workers – Reverse cuts to penalty rates and crack down on abuse of labour hire and 457 visas
- Invest in cheaper, cleaner energy – Deliver 50 percent of power from renewables by 2030
- Build a strong economy that works for all – make the top end of town pay their fair share.
Labor will take this plan to the Australian people at the 2019 federal election and seek a mandate to implement our plan in Government, in the great tradition of reforming Labor Governments.
Have a great Christmas and New Year’s, I look forward to working with you in 2019.