Craig Tiley plans on riding out the storm and staying on as both Australian Open boss and Tennis Australia chief executive.
Despite having the backing of the TA board, Tiley has come under intense pressure to step down following the Novak Djokovic visa scandal that has engulfed the Australian Open.
But as the blame game drags on and fingers continue to be pointed at Tiley, TA, the Victorian and federal governments, Australian Border Force and Djokovic himself, the long-standing tournament director refuses to be drawn on who is ultimately responsible for the saga.
"It's fair to say that everyone was committed to doing the right thing to get the event up and running - and that includes all forms of government, ourselves," Tiley told AAP at Melbourne Park.
"Yes, it has been a distraction for the players and of course there's going to be lessons to be learned.
"But we've bounced back and delivered a great event so far.
"It's proof again that the Australian Open is bigger than anybody and anything."
And, to many, too big an event for someone to control while doubling as TA chief executive and the demanding day-to-day duties involved with that enormous gig.
"No, not at all," Tiley said when asked if it was unreasonable for anyone to juggle the twin commitments.
"It's the same job. To be clear on that - it's one job.
"It's one job because you're running the company."
Tiley's dual role is in stark contrast to the situation at the other three grand slams, none of which are run by people who also double as the CEO of their national tennis federations.
While refusing to accept any responsibility for the Djokovic drama, which came to a head when the world No.1 and nine-times champion was sensationally deported on the eve of his title defence, Tiley did admit to one big regret of TA's handling of the affair.
That the locker rooms inside the one-time "Happy Slam" aren't so happy.
"The regret I have is (we have) 256 main-draw players, 256 qualifying players and the feedback we're getting from them is that the environment here at the time was a distraction for them," Tiley said.
"And also not just for the players but everyone.
"So, yeah, that's the regret I have."
Despite the Djokovic saga straining relations between the Serbian and Australian governments and drawing global attention, Tiley didn't necessarily agree that running the 2022 Open was any more challenging than other years.
"We've had four years of pretty challenging times - from heat to smoke haze to the beginning of COVID," he said.
"Remember COVID hit the 2020 event, at the end of it, and then 2021 - 14 days of quarantine (for overseas players).
"This year all the variables we've put into it. I'm lucky we've got a great team and they've done an unbelievable job delivering what they have.".
Asked if Djokovic deserved an apology from anyone after being led to believe he'd been granted the necessary paperwork - in the form of a medical exemption - to enter the country and the Australian Open, Tiley only wished to "talk from TA's point of view".
"There'll be some lessons in this for us and probably starting from Tuesday of next week, we'll definitely review everything that we've done, like we do every year," he said.
"What have we done well? What didn't we do well and then set it up for 2023.
"So looking at the future, we'll make an assessment at the right time.
"But at this point in time we're focused on getting on with the event and not be drawn into what happened."
Australian Associated Press
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.