Good Samaritans save Qbn house

Two passers-by have saved a Cameron Road house from "total destruction" after noticing smoke coming from the property.

Two passers-by have saved a Cameron Road house from "total destruction" after noticing smoke coming from the property.

TWO local good Samaritans have helped save a house on Cameron Road from “total destruction” after noticing smoke coming from the property.

At about 12.20pm on Sunday, June 15, a 47 and a 33-year old-male, both from Queanbeyan, were passing the house separately in Cameron Road when they noticed the smoke alarm sounding.

On further investigation they saw a small amount of smoke coming from the roof of the house and called 000. Fearing the fire would spread one of the males kicked open the front door just as Police and the Fire Brigade arrived to assist in ensuring no one was inside.

Thanks to the actions of the “good Samaritans” the fire was contained to this area and caused approximately $20,000 worth of damage, Queanbeyan Police said.

The 49-year-old owner was not home at the time of the fire but arrived home shortly afterwards. Investigations revealed the fire to have started accidentally in the kitchen of the house.

“It is refreshing to see people go out of their way to help others,” Queanbeyan Police sergeant Nick Hallet said.

“Both men are to be congratulated for their actions that have saved the house from total destruction”.

The incident is timely reminder for residents to check their smoke alarms and test them to make sure they work.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop