IT'S intended to enable users to download data almost faster than they can click, but the change of government has left some Queanbeyan residents wondering when their National Broadband Network (NBN) connection will occur.
Areas where construction and design work had already commenced in Queanbeyan before the election were Greenleigh, Queanbeyan East, The Ridgeway, Oaks Estate and Crestwood.
A spokesperson for the NBN Co confirmed building instructions issued to contractors before the election would still continue under the new Government.
However the status of the NBN roll-out in other areas of Queanbeyan, including Karabar, Letchworth and Jerrabomberra, remains unknown.
According to new Member for Eden-Monaro, Peter Hendy, the NBN could be less than three years away for these Queanbeyan homes under the Coalition government.
"As the new member for Eden-Monaro, my role within the community is to ensure that we get our roll-out in Eden-Monaro, and across Queanbeyan and Jerrabomberra, in the most affordable and quickest way possible," Mr Hendy said.
At this stage Mr Hendy said that the NBN for Queanbeyan residents is scheduled to be fully installed by 2015-2016.
"The NBN is a vital infrastructure project for the new government...it is going to happen, and it will happen in Eden-Monaro within the next two to three years," Mr Hendy said.
The Government is optimistic that the recent announcement of a new NBN Co board with Dr Ziggy Switkowski as the Chairman will see the NBN roll-out increase in speed in the coming months.
"We are going to, as a government, spend around $30 billion in rolling out fibre across the country. Eden-Monaro is part of that plan," Mr Hendy said.
Mr Hendy said he's planning to meet with Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull's office in the near future to receive updates on the progress of the NBN installation in Eden-Monaro.
Further information will be known when the Coalition's 60-day strategic review into the NBN is complete, due on December 2 this year.