POLICE are hunting for a trio of suspected arsonists who disregarded a total fire ban and lit a number of blazes in Queanbeyan earlier this week.
Queanbeyan Police believe the three fires - in Bicentennial Park, Jerrabomberra Reserve and Nugent Close - are linked to the same suspects.
Three people were seen leaving Bicentennial Park on foot around the time of the first fire, sometime between 7-7.45pm on Monday evening.
Approximately one hour later, fire crews were called to another blaze in the Jerrabomberra Mountain Reserve near Amaroo Place.
It's believed the same firebugs struck again later that night after a number of plastic garbage bins were set alight in Nugent Close between 10-10.30pm.
"Given the time frames involved, we believe all three fires are most likely linked and the same three people were involved in lighting each one," Queanbeyan Police acting inspector Nick Hallett said.
"This is a matter we are treating extremely seriously. We are not at all impressed by the fact that we are now entering the bushfire danger period and we've got people deliberately lighting fires with obvious disregard for people's safety.
"It's timely to remind people as to the dangers of fire in grassland, it really can't be understated how dangerous fires in these areas are."
Fire crews, who were also called to O'Sullivan Road in Jerrabomberra after several wheelie bins were set alight the same evening, managed to contain each of the blazes before they posed a threat to homes.
Bushfire season officially commenced on Tuesday but dry conditions and high winds in recent days have further exacerbated the fire danger. .
"We'd ask that if people observe anyone acting suspiciously near the scene of a fire, that they take down a description of the person or their vehicle details as that will assist with our investigations," acting inspector Hallett said.
Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or Queanbeyan Police Station on 6297 0555.