QUEANBEYAN'S 175th birthday celebrations went off with a bang last Saturday night but they were just minutes away from ending in a whimper.
The spectacular fireworks show on the banks of Queanbeyan River that capped off the day's festivities delighted the packed house that braved the inclement conditions to witness the colourful display.
But the crowd was very nearly left disappointed as organisers were forced to contend with strong winds throughout the afternoon and early evening.
"It was touch and go with the fireworks whether they were going to take place," Queanbeyan mayor Tim Overall confirmed.
"It wasn't decided until about five minutes beforehand whether they were going to go ahead but they got the all clear and they turned out fantastically."
With the fireworks going ahead as scheduled, they marked a stunning end to the city's 175th anniversary which had earlier seen a parade through the centre of town, a multicultural dance performance and a youth concert.
The day's entertainment kicked off with a transport parade down Macquoid Street - Queanbeyan's original main thoroughfare.
The action then moved to the main stage at Ray Morton Park adjacent to Queanbeyan River with a variety of entertainment throughout the afternoon.
There was also the official cutting of Queanbeyan's elaborate six-tier birthday cake by Cr Overall and local aboriginal elder Matilda House.
"I thought it was a brilliant day," Cr Overall said. "The street parade was terrific, as was the multicultural festival and the concert.
"The community certainly came together as one in great spirit and with some enthusiasm I must say."
Cr Overall said Queanbeyan City Council had budgeted $80,000 for the city's 175th anniversary.
And the official celebrations are not yet complete with ACT Chief Minister Katy Gallagher set to unveil Canberra's birthday gift to Queanbeyan on October 15.