THE ACT Brumbies have thrown their support behind the annual Queanbeyan Sevens tournament which from next year will be known as the Brumbies Q Sevens.
The move has been welcomed by the Whites with president David Jones confident the association would help boost the tournament’s profile among clubs around Australia.
“The main benefit is having the Brumbies name attached to the event,” Jones said. “We’ve already had interest from a couple of Chinese women’s team, a Perth team and a side from down in Melbourne as well.
“Hopefully the Brumbies becoming involved will increase [the tournament’s] profile and we’ll be able to expand and get a few more teams involved next year.”
It is understood the Brumbies will also provide some sponsorship and other support for the event.
Last year 16 men’s teams and 12 women’s teams took part with Sydney clubs such as Randwick and West Harbour and all Canberra clubs taking part.
But with the Brumbies now on board, Jones said the Whites would be pushing for increased participation numbers at next year’s event.
Such a move would likely see the tournament expand beyond its traditional home at Taylor Park with Seiffert Oval a possible second venue.
“Last year we had 16 men’s teams so we’d like to build on that…24 men’s teams would be good,” he said. “If we can get enough teams we’d certainly speak to Council about using Seiffert Oval for the day as well.”
Next year’s tournament will be held in conjunction with the Brumbies home game against the Queensland Reds on February 16.
Several players have already graduated from the Queanbeyan Sevens to the national side since its inception including Dan Yokapo, Pama Fou and Queanbeyan’s own Lewis Holland.
The tournament has also increasingly been seen as an ideal lead in to the marquee Kiama Sevens tournament.